Assistant CIO - Infrastructure
The Assistant CIO-Infrastructure is responsible for leading the leading the Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) Division which provides mission critical infrastructure services 24/7/365 to the company's diverse group of 24 departments encompassing public safety, utilities, transportation, community services, and central service operations. The Assistant CIO-Infrastructure reports to the Chief Information Officer (CIO).
The role is responsible for leading the development of the Infrastructure design strategy, master plan and roadmaps, and annual operating plan. As a member of the IT senior leadership team, this position contributes to the development and execution of the overall citywide technology strategy and ensures the Infrastructure Division's alignment with the enterprise's IT and business strategy to achieve the Company's goals.
The Clients’ IT Strategy Department is transitioning from a heavily premise-based infrastructure environment to a cloud-first strategy to strengthen operational resiliency and agility, as well as building the foundation capacity for growth in IOT, data, Al and smart city initiatives. The EIS Division is comprised of 65 personnel supporting the following technical functional areas:
• Enterprise data network - 1,500 nodes; 60,000+ network drops
• 3 local data centers and multiple cloud laaS & PaaS platforms
• Server/storage – 907 servers (65% virtual) and 1.2PB storage capacity
• Telephony – 15,000+ VolP telephones; 4 major call centers and 38 total call centers
• End user computing – approximately 5,000 end user devices
• Office 365 enterprise messaging, active directory and applications for 15,000+ users
Our Strategic Priorities include:
• Engage citizens through connected mobile and digital experiences to increase satisfaction and participation
• Inspire and empower employees to do their best work by aligning their skills to the strategy and leveraging the power of mobility and collaboration
• Optimize government operations to ensure security, reliability, cost and operating efficiencies
• Transform Services to better utilize data to produce actionable analysis, better decision making, and transparency to citizens
Assistant CIO-Infrastructure Mandate
Understand the Customer and the Business. Improve organization's reputation as a valued partner by building strong relationships with all customer departments. Focus on the business needs and assist in the evaluation of requirements and problem resolution. Enable the business to function by ensuring service levels and infrastructure roadmaps that accommodate future business needs. Develop a reputation as a good listener, problem solver, and ally to the business.
Build next generation IT foundation and capabilities to enhance mobility, collaboration, capacity and agility. Develops plans for platform evolution, including laaS & PaaS options, system expansion, upgrade, operational performance and maintenance. Identifies changes and trends in infrastructure technologies and service delivery strategies and interprets their meaning and business value to stakeholders. Drives innovation and strategic solutions.
Organize to succeed. Provides clear organizational design strategy to best align team skillsets / capabilities with business needs. Identifies appropriate balance between insourced and outsourced services. Manages multiple enterprise contracts for both services and consulting.
• Assess Infrastructure Division organization structure and leadership personnel within 90 days of start date.
• Develop Infrastructure Division FY21 Operating Plan no later than 7/31/2020
Develop an Infrastructure Division Stability Plan within six (6) months of start
• Promotes frank discussion of tough issues. Demonstrates leadership courage; is open and accessible
• Shares information strategically and proactively communicates during change
• Uses a variety of communication channels & media to ensure the message is received
• Engages and inspires others by communicating a clear vision and direction Ability to speak and present information effectively to groups of varying sizes
• Strong interpersonal and writing skills
• Ability to maintain the highest standard of confidentiality is required with zero tolerance
Interpersonal Skills & Values:
• Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along with diverse personalities; tactful, mature and flexible
• Ability to establish creditability and be decisive but also to recognize and support the organization's preference and priorities
• Develops an ethical organization by aligning the organization's systems, practices and processes with ethical standards
• Demonstrates consistency between words and actions
• Has an increased level of adaptability
• Understands and demonstrates political savvy
• Avid, proactive learner and ability to work well in a team-based environment
Problem Solving & Execution:
• Results oriented with the ability to balance other business considerations
• Proven experience working in a rapidly changing, high intensity environment
• Uses seasoned judgment and applies broad knowledge and experience when addressing complex issues;
• Defines strategic issues clearly despite ambiguity
• Takes all critical information into account when making decisions; timely, tough decisions
• Foresees obstacles and opportunity; generate, promotes and recognizes breakthrough thinking when problem solving
• Superior attention to detail
• Understands the relationship and interdependencies between the IT Strategy divisions as well as customer departments
• Accountable for financial aspects of Infrastructure operations, opportunities for efficiency
• Has experience and skill in managing across various department lines of business
• Keeps abreast of important trends that impact our business (technology, competitive, social, economic, legislative, etc.)
Attract Talent: Right People, Right Job
• Attract high caliber people to company
• Support, mentor and develop talent with diverse capabilities
• Develop successors and talent pools
• Create a climate of energy, excitement, that foster personal investment and excellence
• Nurture commitment to common vision and shared value
• Give people opportunity and latitude to grow and achieve
Engage and Inspire:
• Demonstrates company/department core values humility, integrity, trust & service
• Establishes open candid, trusting relationships
• Maintains high standards of integrity and displays courageous leadership
• Cultivates an active network of relationships inside and outside of company, within the industry or profession
• High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with normal
Requires a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Management / Computer Information Systems or a closely related field.
A Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer or Management Information Systems (MIS), Engineering, or a closely related field may be substituted for up two (2) years of the experience requirement.
At least twelve (12) years of experience of progressively responsible management roles for a department or enterprise IT environment that includes five (5) years managing a technology team.