Sr. Benefits Analyst
Sr. Benefits Analyst
Houston, TX 77077
Relocation Benefits are not available for this position.
Responsible for administering all health and welfare plans and managing the day-to-day maintenance, reporting, and analysis of SAP Benefits data for the welfare and retirement programs. Serves as subject matter expert for all aspects SAP systems data related to health and welfare and retiree health plans. Performs as lead administrator of the company disability programs. Responsible for researching, evaluating, and preparing recommendations for management and assisting with the implementation of approved benefit plans and programs.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for Long Term Disability and Disability Retirement administration. Assist employees with the disability claims process, review paperwork to ensure completeness and provide ongoing case management. Liaise with internal business units to communicate and ensure timely processing and reporting of all disability case determinations. Review and maintain documented processes and procedures and provide cross training to other members of the Benefits team as required. Work with internal legal counsel and assist in the preparation of disability claim appeals. Work with disability insurer to complete periodic claim audits as needed.
- Prepare and coordinate the development and distribution of required health & welfare plan communications, including but not limited to Summary Plan Descriptions, Summary of Material Modifications, Plan Documents, brochures, eligibility packets, announcements, etc. Consult with internal legal counsel as needed. Prepare and present benefits presentations as needed.
- Analyze and process benefit enrollments (i.e. new hires) and life event changes (i.e. marriage, birth of child, etc.), as well as changes during Annual Election. Determine COBRA and HIPAA eligibility. Collaborate with the Benefits Representative and/or Legal Department in processing Qualified Medical Support Orders (QMSCOs). Review reports/Third Party interfaces to verify data and initiate entries, investigate discrepancies and determine necessary changes. Process changes as needed to ensure correct data to all benefit carriers and other required parties, and provide necessary reports to governmental agencies. Responsible for ensuring data integrity and accuracy of all data entered and distributed. Review, develop, process and analyze custom queries, make appropriate changes to queries as required. Respond to confidential inquiries for Human Resources and Legal, with regard to the SAP processing for benefits; provide data as needed for actuarial valuations and plan audits. Participate as a member of the Business Continuity Plan Team.
- Consult with Benefits Representatives, Benefits Accounting, IT personnel, and others to design SAP configuration to facilitate accurate, efficient, and compliant administration of company benefits. Liaise with IT personnel on final SAP configuration to implement design changes, SAP upgrades and other computer system changes. This role has primary responsibility for conducting and/or coordinating user testing as related to Benefits data and finalizing approvals of changes with HR management. Serve as the primary point of contact for submission of requests for changes to SAP configuration related to Benefit - plans administration. Analyze these requests to determine appropriateness and make changes when applicable. Instruct Benefits Representatives, Benefits Accounting, HR Business Partners, HR managers, and Business Units on the proper submittal and usage of benefits data. Define requirements, develop and interpret reports from SAP and other sources as needed to support these clients. Create and maintain documentation of Benefits transactional processes including complex guidelines.
- Handle escalated benefit inquiries and issues by interpreting benefit policies and procedures. Interpret and assist in the implementation and administration of all SAP policies and procedures as they relate to benefits data for the welfare and retirement programs. Develop and apply automated and process solutions to remedy operational inefficiencies while working within regulatory compliance requirements for retirement and welfare plans. Research and identify best practices in the industry to assist and continue with the development of SAP functions to ensure efficiency and accuracy in benefits administration.
- Conduct special, critical and analytical projects as assigned by supervisor. Assist with the preparation of documents to present to the Benefit Plans Committee.
- Serve as a backup to the Benefits HelpLine providing support as business needs require.
Degree: College Degree (Bachelors Level).
The minimum number of years of job related experience required by this job is: 5 year with degree in Business, HR or related degree; 9 years job related experience may be considered in lieu of college degree.
List any specialized training or unique skills required:
- Experience administrating disability cases.
- Ability to perform well within a fast-paced, deadline driven environment that requires the management of multiple projects at once, without compromising quality and service levels.
- Knowledge and understanding of federal and statutory laws including, but not limited to ERISA, FLSA, FMLA, COBRA, EEO, ADA, ACA, HIPAA.
- Strong and demonstrated analytical skills.
- Ability to summarize results and analysis of data.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Familiar with SAP and/or other HRIS systems.
- Detail oriented.
- A strong team player with the ability to balance competing priorities simultaneously.
- Exceptional problem solving skills to identify and resolve problems efficiently and effectively.
- Excellent communication skills-written and verbal-with ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization and external contacts.
- Knowledge should be continuously updated and include eligibility rules, regulatory and tax compliance requirements as well as familiarity with HIPAA Privacy and Security regulations.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.